Thursday 5 February 2015

WHY I WON'T

I wrote this poem a few years ago for my daughter Shaina.  Once in a while, the teacher asks kids to learn a new poem of their choice and recite it in class.  After frustrating attempts of downloading Robert Frost poems and asking the child to learn one of them, I gave up and just took the easy way out.  I wrote a poem for her to learn and recite.  In my opinion the poem reflects her nature quite well.

The poem is a thought process that me and my wife have gone through.  The poem is inspired by the thoughts of Mr. Arvind Gupta (http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/) who has been a mentor to me in the area of bringing up children.  I don't believe Mr. Gupta is aware of the fact that he has mentored me :-)



WHY I WON’T

Why must I
Go to school
When I could be
Splashing in the pool?

Why wake up
Early in the morning
And suffer my way
Through all that learning?

The book of History
Is a great big mystery …

Shivaji killed Afzal
Though I didn’t ask him to
And that’s why I
Should know his birthday too?



The book of Science
Is such a sorry old nuisance …

What, they’ll ask
Is Newton’s Law?
I care two hoots
That’s my big bad flaw?

Six and something
Is Avogadro’s number
I don’t give a squat
Ain’t buzzing ‘im even in my slumber

Math I like
Mom says I’m smart
But won’t learn no Tables
By rote and heart

Books, note-books, worksheets
Thick and mean
Brick by brick
They WALL me in

Set me free
I try to shout
Shush! they say
Take your brother’s route!

My brother is him
And I am me
He don’t skate
And I don’t read!

Give me my village
And give me the sun
To play with my animals
And have a lot of fun … !!!

Amlesh – for Shaina (written in 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment